How To Get The Most Out Of Your Candle!
How do you get the most out of your candle?
We are OBSESSED with our new candle range and we want you to love them too. Here are some tips to make your candles last as long as possible and some important "how to use" info. Safety is important, especially safe scents!
Candle Safety Steps
Before you even think of lighting that match, make sure you get the safety sorted:
- Make sure all clothes, hair (real or extensions) and anything flammable is kept away from the naked flame at all times.
- Candle jars do get rather hot, not as hot as Tom Hardy, but still hot so please refrain from touching and place them on a suitable heat resistant surface
- It is always important to keep candles out of reach of children and pets.
- Beauty sleep is important but make sure your candle is extinguished first before your head hits the pillow
- Candles do not belong under shelves, please make sure there is one meter (3 feet) between a candle and the surface above it
- Never move the candle when lit or the wax is liquified
- Never burn a candle all the way down, always leave at least half an inch
- Never burn for more than 4 hours at a time, as this can cause the glass to over heat and shatter
How to use candles
The first burn of your brand new candle is always the most important. This first burn really sets the tone for the candle's life - no pressure! A candle that is not burned for long enough will not reach a full melt pool, (this is when the wax melts from edge to edge) this also helps the scents to be released.
Did you know your candle has a memory?! Treat it right or it will hate you like an ex. When candles melt for the first time they create a ‘’memory ring’’. Wondering what a memory ring is? Don’t worry so were we! A memory ring is the candle's first melt and the ring it creates around the wick, once this has been established it will continue to tunnel with a full melt pool for the whole candle! If you do not achieve a full melt pool on first use, the candle will loose some of its hot throw. This is because less wax has melted and it is the liquified wax that disperses the fragrance! That’s hours of scent-sational fragrance gone!
It is important that you keep your candle away from fans, drafts, breezes and open windows, as moving air can disturb the flame leading to black marks on the glass. Each and every time, before you burn your candle, you need to get your Edward Scissorhands on and trim that wick! Trim the wick between 1/8 and 1/4 inches long using scissors, nail clippers or an actual wick trimmer. However you decide to do it, just always do it before you next light up!
Did you know long wicks are the reason behind those nasty smoky stains that mark the inner side of your candle container. Keeping a trimmed wick keeps the flame under control and prevents staining.
A few more of Christie’s Top Tip
- Burn for 3 to 4 hours on the first burn or until a full melt pool is adequately achieved
- Always leave at least half an inch of wax at the bottom of the jar to prevent heat damage on the counter or surface
- When you are storing your candle keep it in a cool, dry place and away from direct sunlight. This is to maintain the colour and fragrance
- Our candles always come with lids and there's a reason for this! It is to keep the fragrance in and the dust out when they are not being used
- If you do get any of the dreaded black stains then use a wet cotton pad with a cotton bud soaked in warm water and gently rub them off when the candle is not lit (make sure you dry it before use).
Reuse Your Vessels
Now we think our candle vessels are pretty cute and it would be so sad to not use them once the candle is finished. Fear not, as upcycling is the hottest interior trend of 2021 and helps save the planet too.
What is upcycling? it is a creative way of finding use for old products rather than throwing them away. Basically it's a Glow Up! Where you transform by-products, waste materials or unwanted products into new and useful products. This a big thumbs up for the environment, can save you a little cash and be a really fun activity to do.
So here are our top ideas for reusing our candle jars.
- Want to give your next gift a bit of Glam? Why not re-use our candle jar as a cute little sweet holder
- Let's get classy... working from home? This makes a very handy pencil/stationery holder for your desk
- Why not fill your Glam jar with jewellery and keep it as a box full of your trinkets
- Turn the jar into a jazzy tumbler for your favourite beverage
- How about Glamming up your kitchen tea and coffee game and use it as storage for your favourite morning cuppa
- Let’s make it sweet as sugar and use it as an actual sugar container
- Got some flowers that need a home? This pot is perfect to bring them to life
- Messy makeup station? Use this as a gorgeous Makeup brush jar!
- Is your bathroom needing a new toothbrush holder or cotton bud holder? This jar is absolutely perfect for that!
- How about planting some flowers and watching them sprout into beautiful additions to your home
- They also make the perfect match stick holder, an addition every girl needs in the home
Feeling like a pro? If you follow these steps you’ll be a regular chandler!